You know what sucks? Riding my bike in the snow. You know what sucks even more? Losing one glove and wearing socks on my hands instead. Did I mention this was in -9 C?
Tonight Danielle and I jump started our holiday cheer by putting together our very own cardboard Christmas tree complete with ornaments and a little red star, all cardboard as well. Actually corrugated, but I don't need to get technical here. We constructed the tree with the aid of gluhwein, snow caps, gummy bears, and Elf playing in the background. The candy was for the gingerbread house we were going to put together next, but unfortunately Danielle forgot to purchase a very crucial ingredient, icing. So we put the candy to more practical use and just ate it. The gingerbread house can wait. Elf is easily one of my favorite Christmas movies. Not because of the cute message it sends, but because Will Ferrel is hilarious and can really pull off those yellow tights. I found myself laughing out loud at every other scene and waking up Danielle to ask her if she saw that. How many movies can you say easily have that effect? Even though Mom, Bret and Dave are coming, I feel like Christmas here would still be okay. There are several secret Santas going on, many Christmas parties and countless friends who are also away from their families during the holidays. As much as people like to think management is sub par here, they go way out of their way to make sure we feel at home and like a huge family. A very big and weird family.
You know what else sucks? We haven't had internet in our room for over a week now. Housing services claims "they're working on it". I have trouble believing this. Not only is it a huge inconvenience, it makes me feel so disconnected. We get by with minimal cell phone use with the use of Facebook and Skype. Without access to these it's a huge pain in the butt to find out what's happening in the Abrams. I've been forced to actually walk to other rooms AND talk to people in person. Disgusting, I know. The inconvenience could be a blessing in disguise, but I sure do miss laying in bed and Facebooking to my heart's content.
I remember when I wasn't allowed to say "sucks". When I started this post I wondered to myself if Mom would remember those late elementary days and be disappointed that I reverted back to my rebellious suck saying ways. Don't tell her, but I secretly said sucks all the time with my friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment