The weather has been gorgeous this past week. No gray clouds and drizzling rain all day, except in the late afternoon of course. On my last day off I forced myself out of bed around 10 to tackle the hike of the Kramerspitz (the little mountain directly behind the Abrams) with Andy, a business student from Kansas. At the end of the hike you're greeted with a little gem known as the Halfway House, where they serve amazing apple strudel and the inevitable big beer. The hike was a little more difficult than I was anticipating and I had to ask Andy to take a break several times, but I'm pretty sure he was wanting a break as much as I was! When we reached the top we were too parched for the usual beer so we got water and the strudel. The view really put Garmisch-Partenkirchen into perspective. I could see the Abrams, the resort, the ski jump, and other prominent landmarks in the area. About 20 minutes after we arrived the clouds began to roll in and our perfect sunny day had concluded. We then hiked back down the mountain for some 1/2 price pizza and beer at peaches with some fellow employees. I would like to think that our food consumption that day equals out to our physical activity. Probably not, but that's ok with me.
Tonight Christina and I are heading up to Munich for some big city fun. Our hostel offers a beer tour that promises all sorts of rowdiness. We've opted to not bring adult beverages on the train so that we are in our prime for the tour and the good times that will follow. Unfortunately, the Wombat wasn't available to accommodate us so we are trying a new hostel called 4 You Munchen Youth Hostel. They offer a free Bavarian style breakfast buffet....obviously a no brainer choice. We plan to return to Garmisch the following afternoon, just in time for my first night audit shift. Sunday and the following 4 days will be dedicated to 10:30pm to 7:30am Edelweiss fun. Although I'm not really looking forward to being trained on this shift, it will probably go fast and not be as terrible as I'm assuming. Wish me luck!
In other news, I purchased a book to help me learn conversational German. A few weeks ago I was challenged by a local that by the end of December I wouldn't be able to keep up in a beginners conversation, so I'm determined to prove him wrong and also feel a little less useless when doing anything outside of the American bubble that I live in. The book has no pictures which could be a problem but its high rating on Amazon gives me hope that it will be the ticket to improving the nonexistent German that I'm speaking at the moment.

No comments:
Post a Comment