Saturday, October 2, 2010

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead

After almost 2 months of being bikeless I'm anxiously waiting for Haley, an IU alum who departs Edelweiss in a mere 2 weeks, to hand over the reins to her sweet ride.  The 40 minute commute will be long gone and I will finally feel like I'm settled into the German lifestyle.  Now I just need to learn the rules of the road as a cyclist and get familiar with some new more efficient routes.  Maybe investing in an aerodynamic helmet and full spandex body suit is in my near future? 
My legs are still sore from an intense teeter tottering session I had couple nights ago when I was given the privilege of babysitting two little tykes, one from London and the other from Minnesota.  Of course these boys were rambunctious and out of control, but I had a blast.  Their parents came to the desk looking for a sitter and when the thought of spare Euro crossed my mind I jumped on the opportunity and offered up my services.  We started out the night with some playground action.  While they were swinging I snuck away to test out the fireman's pole.  It wasn't until I heard some guests laughing from their balcony that I realized how ridiculous I looked trying to climb up the rock wall to get to it.  By the time I reached the pole the boys had gathered below and were chanting for me to "hurry up and slide down already, poopy!!".  Yes, they nicknamed me poopy.  After my playground embarrassment we preceded to hit up the arcade, the dinner buffet, and even found the time to build a dirt bike track out of books, my umbrella, and random things around the room.  I got a taste of parenthood during dinner time at the buffet.  After running back and forth getting them everything that they needed I finally was able to get my food only to come back to the table to see that they finished their meals and were ready to move on to the next activity.  I had to coerce them to sit tight by explaining that we were friends and friends wait for each other even when they don't want to haha life lessons at the Edelweiss buffet!  The night ended with them swearing that they weren't tired as they yawned and let me tuck them into bed to watch a little muted Nitro Circus.  Now that was definitely a great way to spend a couple free hours :)

No comments:

Post a Comment