Apparently most Germans think I'm Jewish (the nose) and Americans swear I had to be in a sorority (the Sperrys). Stereotyping at its finest.
Christina surprised us all by arriving unannounced on Sunday morning. Her arrival was bittersweet. Knowing that she would be doing her out processing and packing up her life to move back to the states was always in the back of my mind. For those who are unaware, Christina's mom became very sick a few weeks back and has been on life support and in the ICU at a hospital in St. Louis. The scariest thing about the whole ordeal is that they aren't really sure what she is sick with or how to help her heal. Christina was instantly one of my good friends here and as much as I want her to go and be with her family, I hate the fact that I won't have her around anymore. On a happier note, her managers at Alpine are more than willing to hire her again once she is able and comfortable enough to leave her mom. This whole week has been a blur of doing things with her for "one last time". Although it's been a little pricey, I'm not complaining about all of the great food and good times I've had over the past 5 days. This morning I woke up extra early to see her off, now I'm just hoping that her return to Garmisch is sooner rather than later.
Next week I have a mini vaca planned to go visit Lindsey up in Kaiserslautern. I'm still debating whether I should rent a car or travel by train. I never thought I'd be so nervous to drive! Renting a car is comparable in price, but I'm not sure how much more convenient it will be. My biggest fear is that the GPS will send me down a wrong road and I'll be lost and without means of communication. It's not like I can call up Father Martin and he can take out the trucker's atlas for that dilemma. Ehhh that 6 hour train ride doesn't sound so bad after all. At least I have some confidence concerning the deustche bahn and feel somewhat comfortable switching trains and reading schedules. The rail system might win this one. Even though my means of transportation are still under consideration, I am beyond excited to spend some time with Linds. I find it hard to believe that she is so close and we have gone almost 3 months without a reunion. I'm also anxious to compare her German life with mine. Who knows, maybe being an au pair is next on my list?

No comments:
Post a Comment