I had a severe tongue lashing from Randy a few nights ago in response to my lack of blogging. He explained that he doesn't like asking the overused "Sooo, what have you been up to?" and prefers to just know what is going on in my life so he can go straight to jokes. Always with the jokes, that one. With a promise not to disappoint him with my newest update I am drawing a serious blank and will take the random route.
Before arriving stateside I had the pleasure of meeting Marcel's family. Boy let me tell you, hand signals and facial expressions sure do go a long way. Even though there were more than a few awkward interactions with his parents, who don't speak English, the weekend was great and I can definitely say I would like to return for some more real time German fun. I also was able to meet some of his other friends and managed to not embarrass myself...until the bike ride home. I have already met some of Marcel’s friends, but on this night I was meeting THE best friend, Marcel, or Marcel the great, as I call him. The three of us rode bikes to another friend’s house where we barbecued and drank beer into the late night hours. On the ride home I was trying my hardest to focus and not let off how intoxicated I really was. In a moment of weakness, aka laughing, I lost control, nailed a curb, and found myself lying on the sidewalk fighting off two Marcels trying to help me up. Of course I insisted that I was ok and made them get back on their bikes and ride home. I think my ego was more hurt than my cut hands or knees. We got plenty of laughs from it the next morning and Marcel has yet another reason to make fun of his crazy American girlfriend. The visit was short and sweet. The flight out of Hannover on Sunday morning approached much quicker than I hoped. I not only was dreading leaving Marcel, but dreading having to face what was going on at home.
I have never had to deal with anything significant while away from home. Hearing the news of Dad's accident was crushing. It was easily the hardest week of my life. Communication was difficult and being away from my iPod or computer left me anxious that I would miss something important. Every text or incoming call on Skype terrified me, but I got through it, and with the awesome support and constant updates from my sister the week quickly came to an end and I was on the airplane headed towards beautiful Indiana before I knew it. When deciding when to book my flight I wrestled with what day to leave. Of course I wanted to see Marcel and I'm really happy with myself for waiting until Sunday, even when all I wanted was my Mom's hug and Bret's jokes. Marcel's comfort and assurance really helped me prepare myself for what was to come. Having lost one of my Dads four years ago, I was not ready to lose another and feared the worst.
But here we are today. Dad just checked into the rehab hospital and will start his intensive recovery tomorrow. It's amazing how much has happened in the last twenty-two days. He's come so far in just the last three; I can't imagine what he'll do over the next couple weeks. As soon as that breathing tube was out he was cracking jokes and had the whole burn unit pulling for him. Today one of the occupational therapists was in tears when she found out they were discharging him already. He's an ornery one, but you can't help but love him. His attitude and work ethic are impressive. I'm pretty sure he can do anything he puts his mind to. I'm just worried for those poor nurses.....
I'm a lucky girl to have had the opportunity to grow up with these two amazing men in my life. I miss Ed more than ever, but I'm so thankful that Dad and I can share so much more together. I love you, Daddio.
Seven more days in Indiana. What will I do? Seeing Kassy is next on my list! I was lucky enough to spend a great Saturday night with Allyson, Amy, Katy, Kurt, and Tim at Vegas Baby. Things got a little out of hand, per usual, and I had quite the little hangover on Sunday morning. Nothing a little macaroni and cheese breakfast won't cure though. It was so amazing to spend some time with my friends. I've missed them way too much. Now we just have the visit in June to anticipate. The two Germs will make the trip a little more interesting and I'm really looking forward to their reactions to American life.
That's all for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment