Thursday, May 19, 2011

Supersize Me

Being back in Garmisch feels amazing.  It was definitely time to come back.  Dad was doing great, I had exhausted my monetary resources, and I was tired of driving the vantastic.  I needed some physical movement in my life.  Even though Dad was progressing quickly I had trouble saying goodbye to him on Sunday night.  I found myself wanting to stay longer and longer.  I was postponing the inevitable despite laundry and packing to be done before my morning flight.  It was hard to say goodbye, but knowing that I can see him in 3 weeks made it a little more bearable.  I hate to know that I am missing out on his recovery (and jokes).

The luster of my return trip in June faded while I was home for the past 3 weeks though.  I had more of Northern Indiana than I cared to receive.  Don't get me wrong, I love home, my family, and my friends, but I have gotten accustomed to a different lifestyle, and although this lifestyle isn't always perfect, it's what I prefer at the moment.  I missed my bike, I hated driving, I rarely walked, everyone moved on to bigger and better things, I ate too much fast food, and I realized (again) how fat we can really be.  I was at McDonalds, I'll admit, getting my dollar menu fix, when I noticed there was not one person in the entire store that was fit or just slightly overweight - they were all obese.  The children and the adults all looked like they could be contestants on The Biggest Loser.  I don't blame it on them either, well, kind of.  I understand food is expensive and unfortunately, the fast food industry makes it very easy to eat cheap at the cost of your health.

Ok, enough of that.  While I was home I was lucky enough to spend a huge amount of time with my siblings.  I always knew I could count on Deborah to help me out or be there if I needed her.  It's too bad that it took Dad's accident to bring Deb and I closer, but I'm glad that it did.  There was also an ungodly amount of inside jokes that developed between Bret and I during the two hour commute to and from the hospital.  I don't think I have laughed that hard in a long time.  In the previous post I said I was lucky to have two awesome dads.  I'm also extremely lucky to have such a great brother and sister. And did I mention all of my friends and family?  Thanks to all of you for being so supportive while we were all struggling.

So, being back here has been a relief even though I'm missing my family big time.  Being in the same time zone as Marcel has also been so much more convenient.  Talk about a headache trying to coordinate calls between both of our schedules.  I think my next big purchase will be a smart phone with an actual plan, not prepaid, so that I can have a Skype connection.  We'll see.  I had my first shift last night which ran an extra 45 minutes and I felt completely lost with all of the updates I had missed while I was on leave, but it was really okay.  It feels good to be back and I'm looking forward to the next couple weeks of the usual Edelweiss nonsense.

No comments:

Post a Comment