Monday, July 18, 2011

If it's not a tick bite, it's a descended filling.

A new week a different set of problems. Today I ventured out into Garmisch to visit a one Dr. Zwink.  Dentist by day, compulsive coffee drinker, or cocaine user, by night.  I had this throbbing feeling that one of my fillings had fallen out or was on the verge of it, so I had Marcel call a dentist a fellow co-worker had referred to me and set up a same day appointment.  Normally I would have let the problem fester a few more days, but I had graves and then the Marcello arrival and didn't want anything to mess with my groove.  Dr. Zwink was the most energetic little old man I had ever met.  He buzzed around the office laughing and asking about my troublesome tooth.  He took an x-ray and made me hold it up to the window while we examined it together.  We discovered nothing wrong (except exceptional roots and "silent" wisdom teeth) and as a team we diagnosed my descended filling as just a sensitive tooth.  Apparently just one tooth can be sensitive, and it can happen over night.  When all was said and done his assistant put a sealant on my molars and handed me a tube of sensitive tooth paste.  I greeted the receptionist on my way out where he informed me that I owed nothing today.  Nothing?  Is this man crazy?  An x-ray in the states would have cost me more than what I hold in my bank account, but that isn't saying much.  I left the office with a smile on my face.

No, I did not take this picture.
On to another topic of medical concern; the pharmacy.  In Germany their pharmacies are called apothekes.  They are like a smaller version of CVS, minus the food, batteries, liquor, candy, household appliances, etc.  So basically they just carry the medicine.  Instead of picking out the items you want and heading to the counter, you are greeted by the pharmacist who asks how they can help you.  They diagnose your problem and find the best solution they can offer without a prescription.  For instance, when I had a UTI I explained my discomfort and minutes later she returned with a box of an herbal supplement and told me this would help with the symptoms until I could get a prescription for the antibiotic.  Everything is located behind the counter, except a few items, like cough drops, tissues, and other versatile items.  I have found the pharmacists are friendly and not nearly as stressed looking as the ones at Wal-mart or Walgreens.  They look like they actually enjoy their jobs, not like they want to murder someone.  It might have something to do with the slower pace and the  abundance of pharmacies in one small area.  I pass three on my way to work and that's only one side of Garmisch. They are easily accessed and widespread, so they aren't going at full speed the entire day and wearing themselves out.  They also aren't as computerized as we are.  In the states you have a regular pharmacy where your prescriptions are logged into the computer.  It is impossible to get a prescription medication without that little piece of paper.  With that being said, there is an illegal birth control ring festering in the Abrams.  The girls use the German medical system to their advantage to get birth control without a prescription.  Simply show an empty pack and explain you lost the paper.  The pharmacist will then give you a disappointed look and hand over the new supply.  That's it.  Easy peasy.

Next is the eye doctor.  I wonder what kind of surprises this visit will hold for me.  I know it can't be any worse than the gynecologist or any better than the dentist.  Somewhere in the middle with little to no surprises would be perfectly ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment