Sunday, July 3, 2011

Ohh Ess Ahhhh

Life has been pretty uneventful since my return to Garmisch.  I was lucky enough to get some time off this past weekend and used the days to go see Marcel.  As always the time went too fast and I found myself wondering how bad it would be if I just didn't show up to work on Monday.  Of course that didn't happen but the idea was intriguing.  While I was in Freiburg I met with a family who is searching for an au pair.  Stefanie, the mom, was really sweet and despite her case of scatter brain, seemed to be a really fun and laid back person.  She extended an offer to me so now it's just up to me to decide what I will do with it.  They live in a really nice part of the city with a beautiful terrace, trees in the sidewalk, fast internet, and only a short walk to the city center.  I wasn't able to meet her daughter, which kind of unnerves me a little bit, but from what the old au pair said she is a really sweet little girl.  It's my only option at the moment and it's looking pretty good. 
At the top of the castle
While I was in Freiburg Marcel and I did our usual eating and drinking tour of the city.  I'm really glad he loves food just as much as I do.  On Saturday we were going for a "walk", which was actually a hike up a little mountain.  I wore the exact opposite type of shoes that I should have.  Surprisingly I complained very little :-) As a result of our hike I acquired a little friend.  A tick.  Tuesday morning in Garmisch I discovered the little booger and almost broke through the shower door in my moment of panic.  Somehow I finished my shower and rushed to my room where I woke up Danielle and demanded her to do something about it.  In our girly paranoia we woke up TJ across the hall who is the outdoorsy type.  He came over with his little man first aid kit and went to work.  We got the tick out and I followed up with an appointment at the German military clinic in a neighboring town.  Marcel warned me that the ticks in the Black Forest are more likely to contain certain diseases, so better safe than sorry.  Of course I wore my skinny jeans and when I was talking to the two women doctors in their office (not examining room) I had to drop trou and show them the bite.  So they decided to just give me the vaccine for some sort of disease and I went into another room where I got a shot of god knows what and was told to come back in 7 days for the booster.  I didn't sign anything.  Didn't show an ID.  Nothing.  BUT it was free.
My room move is coming along slowly but surely.  It's a process that is being made way more difficult than it has to be.  Hopefully by the end of this week I will be all settled in.  I cannot wait to have my own space again.  The good news is that even though I'll be solo, I will have all of my good friends in the same hall.  No more trekking back and forth across the Abrams.  The balcony is definitely a bonus too and with the beautiful weather forecast ahead the sunning will be optimal. 
Garmisch hosted the BMW fest this weekend.  I don't think I've ever seen so many motorcycles in my life.  Traffic sucked and the town was bustling with activity.  Friday night I was able to get in on some of the action with a live band and plenty of big beers to go around.  Almost the entire Abrams was in attendance making it a fun time to be a little less intoxicated than everyone else.  I saw plenty of embarrassing things I couldn't wait to tell my friends the next day.  And by tell, I meant make fun of for.
The girls and I at BMW Fest....and Corey's maß

No comments:

Post a Comment