Sunday, October 9, 2011

Childcare is for suckers

Well I guess it is time to make my future plans "official" by posting them on the blog.  I apologize that I didn't get on here sooner and update all of my diligent followers (Mom, Bret, Randy, and Grandma) with my situation.  Although it crossed my mind many times, it was hard to put into words what was happening.  For all of those who haven't been contacted by my ecstatic mother, I'll give you the short version.  I'm not fit to watch children for an extended period of time.  Sure, babysitting is nice and fun, but living with one?  I didn't exactly bite off more than I could chew, but I took a huge bite of something I had never had before and it didn't go over so well.  I'm not happy doing a job like this and as much as it kills me to give up and come home, I'm doing it.  I considered sticking it out and staying for a few months or trying to finish the year, but the more I considered this option the more that I realized that this position doesn't benefit my career in any way.  There is no motivation for me to grin and bear it so why should I?  I had the talk with my host mom and explained the situation.  She was understanding and we agreed to work together to find a replacement for my move out date in 2 weeks.  This seems impossible but we've actually been in contact with 2 different girls who are seriously considering it.  Crazy, crazy women.

So within the month I will be landing in Chicago being greeted by the ugliness of the beginning of the long winter.  As much as I would like this to be true, moving home isn't going to be an instant fix all.  I can already see my growing frustration with the job search, my surroundings, and my lack of Marcel.  I think the last being the most depressing and draining.  We've done the whole long distance thing through our entire relationship, but now we are stepping up to the big leagues with different time zones and an ocean of separation.  I've accepted that it's going to be hard, really hard.  I'm hoping that my realistic outlook will prepare me for the heartache to come.  Feel free to donate to the "Fly a Marcel Foundation".

Once home my plan is to get a job serving at a fine establishment, such as Bobs, and save some money so that I can pay off some old debts and have an opportunity to relocate with more career options.  I keep telling myself I will only be home for a couple months, but to be honest, it's probably going to be 6 months to a year.  Luckily, I still have my Hyatt connection and I plan on using that diligently during my job search.  It's funny because during my last weeks at Edelweiss I thought I was so excited for a break from the hospitality field, but I'm eager to get back into it.  I know it and I know how to handle the situations that come along with it.  It's much easier to calm down a furious old man than an irrational child.  Even though most people turn into the latter when their towels aren't replaced in a timely fashion.

My last weeks in Freiburg will be bittersweet.  I'm more than excited to be done with this job, but leaving my boyfriend is another story.  To say our farewell, as well as to celebrate my birthday, we are taking a trip to Hamburg.  It's not all pleasure though.  Marcel has another conference there he wants to attend, so we will piggyback some fun time on the back of that.  It will be refreshing to take a solo trip with him and get in some good memories before we part ways for an undetermined amount of time.  As much as I want to use one, I'm going to avoid all cliches and just go with what I'm really feeling......I hope everything works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment