Monday, August 16, 2010

Fat Man in a Little Coat

I've arrived safe and sound to the wonderful Garmisch!  Think of the most stereotypical German village and you're picturing it.  I honestly cannot wait to see this place around Christmas, it will be a little real life gingerbread house collection!   My flight wasn't too bad, but the man sitting next to me was.  I'll explain to you just how awesome this guy was (sarcasm?).  First of all, he's huge.  He's in half of my seat and has the nerve to joke about how lucky I am that this crazy looking old man didn't sit on the other side of me.  Haha seriously fat black man in a little coat?  I would trade you in for that crazy man in a heartbeat.  Ok, then he's one of those types that stares at everything you are doing....I'm sure he was so well versed on my iPod's playlists by the end of the flight that he could recite all of my favorite songs. On the bright side, he only woke me up several times as he rapped silently to himself along with his mp3 player.  Ohhhh traveling!
Getting to the resort took about an hour and a half from Munich.  Surprisingly, the landscape was Indianaesque, minus the big mountains in the distance.  My driver was an ex military guy who has worked at the resort for the past 2 years.  He wasn't big on conversation, so I'm looking forward to actually getting a chance to talk to some other residents about their experiences.  After a quick tour of the housing facility I was taken to my room so I could unpack and relax.  Me being the graceful person that I am I sliced my finger open on my key trying to unlock the door.  At least I didn't choke on a skittle in front of my boss again...gotta love first impressions!
Two other new girls and I walked around the city and did a little exploring shortly after arriving.  I had my first schnitzel!  I really need to work on my German though.  I think the waitress was tired of me saying "danke" during every interaction we had.  

P.S. My roommate just walked in.  She's from Ball State and she's a vegetarian.  Signs of lame up-tightness?  No offense to my fellow Muncie friends, but I would have preferred an IU girl.  I Hope she doesn't mind our fridge stocked with hot dogs and bologna...gotta save those dolla dolla bills! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jen! I just read your whole blog in one sitting!!! I am so jealous! It sounds like SO MUCH FUN!!! I am not sure that I would have had the nerve to go away and do what you are doing ( when I was your age). Have fun, be careful, and don't forget.... you aren't allowed to fall in love with someone who isn't coming to live in the US for at least 6 months of every year...... OK, that is for your mom, BUT, I did modify it from the original! Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete