Saturday, August 13, 2011

Confessions of a Front Desk Attendant

Yesterday I began to compile a list of things that guests do that drive me crazy.  I'm positive I'm leaving out hundreds of offenses, this at least scratches the surface though.
  • Allowing your children to sit on the front desk...when they aren't wearing pants.
  • Allowing your children to do anything and/or everything while you pretend you don't see them.
  • Asking for a room with a view.  We're in the valley.  There are mountains ALL AROUND US. This also happened in Bloomington.  Would you like a view of the highway? Or the Waste Management bins?
  • Making a joke about upgrading you to a suite free of charge.
  • Charging up to the front desk without me acknowledging and calling you over.
  • Dismissing the line and then charging up to the front desk.
  • Charging up to the front desk, laying some papers down, looking at me, and not saying a word.  Talk.  I can't read your mind
  • Staring at me when you can't figure out which credit card to use/how that charge got on your bill/why your wife married you.
  • Trying to check in at 10am.
  • Wearing your swimsuit up to the front desk.
  • Getting mad at me because of a policy.  I just work here. 
  • Watching me run your credit card and then disputing the charge.
  • Referencing your $300 bar bill and telling me you rarely ever drink anymore, but it's vacation.
  • Insisting the conference bill should be covered by someone else.
  • Asking to use the front desk phone to make personal calls....to the states.
  • Asking me to google hotels in Munich/Salzburg/Timbuktu.
  • Having a mild heart attack because you left a key in the room/car/pool/god knows where.
  • Not making eye contact.  Talking on your cell phone and whispering goes right along with this.
  • Complaining about how much the Army/Air Force sucks.  Hmmm is there a draft in place?
  • Bringing your dirty towels up to the desk and asking for clean ones.  Yes, one moment.  I keep the clean linen right underneath my computer.
  • Ahhh you're from South Bend, IN?  Germany is a little different, right?
  • So, you're a military wife.......??
Things I absolutely love
  • Putting your child on a leash
Ok, like I said, there are many, many, many more things that I absolutely can't stand, but for your sake and for my sanity, I will stop here.

Another confession.  I think I'm going to discontinue the blog once my time in Garmisch ends.  It's not that I don't like relaying stories and updating people, but it's a lot of effort and time.  We'll see though.  Maybe my new life adventure will be so exciting I will feel compelled to continue with the blog and all will be well again.


No comments:

Post a Comment