It was another busy weekend in Garmisch. On Friday night Marcel, Rachel, Basti (Rachel's man friend), and I went up to Munich to watch Germany and Macedonia battle it out on the basketball court. Although I have never been to a professional game this was awfully similar to a smaller college game. The game was held in Munich's Olympiahalle, which according to Wikipedia, seats between 12,000 and 14,000 people. The fans politely applauded for every player's name until the man, Dirk, was announced and then they went crazy. I couldn't help but feel sorry for the rest of the team who didn't receive near the recognition. After watching the game start, I could understand why. I'm not in any position to judge any ones talent, but it wasn't the best basketball playing I have seen. During half time there was a laser light show followed by a cheer performance by what I'm assuming was an area all star squad. It was nothing like the cheerleaders for the NFL, NBA, or even college sports. They were wearing uniforms that weren't revealing and their dances weren't provocative. Rachel and I were more than curious about the type of food the arena would serve. Would it be nachos and cheap hotdogs? Nope, it was the usual German fanfare of currywurst, bratwurst, fries, beer, and pretzels. I was still delighted with the selection, of course. The game was fun, the food good, and the company better.
On Saturday Marcel and I traveled to Nürnberg to watch the locals play against Augsburg. As usual, it rained the entire morning when we were exploring the city. To our luck it cleared up in the afternoon just before the match began and we were able to enjoy the game without rain coats and umbrellas. Nürnberg was a cute city that I wish we could have spent more time in. I've heard the Christmas markets are something I shouldn't miss, so hopefully I can make a return trip this winter.
Sunday was a productive lazy day. Christina, Marcel, and I gorged on brunch and mimosas at the resort. It was way too much food, but I'm not complaining, it was delicious and filling. Way too filling. To burn off our late morning indulgence we decided to go for a nice hike through the Partnachlamm Gorge. The weather was perfect, it was sunny and hovering between 60 and 70 degrees, or 15 and 20C. I'm trying to convert my brain to Celsius. Wish me luck. So, during our hike we managed to only get sprayed by the water a couple times, except for when Marcel thought he was being sooo funny and threw a hand full of water in my face. He redeemed himself by showing concern for me while I was walking near the edge of the pathway by saying "This wasn't made for clumsies, walk behind me". I'm not sure if it was an insult to my coordination or a sincere concern for my well being. I think I'll be ignorant and choose the latter.
It's official, the last day of work is September 12th.
No comments:
Post a Comment