Sunday, August 14, 2011

One Year Later

One year ago today I was in "the packing room" with heaps of my things piled around me wondering how I was ever going to pack for one year.  I was overwhelmed and nervous at the big step I was taking.  Now after being in Garmisch for one year I'm beginning to get the same overwhelmed feeling thinking about my move to Freiburg. You would think after being in Germany for one year a move across the country wouldn't be such a big deal.  It's going to be completely different and I'm truly excited for that.  I appreciate my American safety net and support system, but the thought of figuring things out on my own and actually being in German culture every day is more appealing to me.  Working for the government and being on a military installation was definitely a good stepping stone and eased me into what I'm about to do.  I've already located an English speaking club that meets every week, a volleyball club, and hopefully a good German school.  Now if I can't make friends through at least one of these activities we'll have some serious worrying to do....

Marcel's family has spent the weekend in Freiburg visiting him.  It's their first time to the city to see what he has been up to for the last year.  I'm not going to lie, I was a little jealous.  I miss the days when Mom would come down to Bloomington (Or when Bret and Mom came to St. Louis...minus the 100 degree weather).  It was so great to share a part of my life that she doesn't get to see every day.  I could tell Marcel shared the same excitement and I'm really happy for him.  I did learn that his family calls me Jenny and even after Marcel told them I really don't like to be called that, they still insist on it.

It's a beautiful day in Garmisch and I don't want to waste any more of it blogging on my balcony fighting off the bees.  Happy Sunday :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment