Saturday, January 1, 2011

Me? Responsible?

After my history of hungover exhausted mornings at work I find it hard to believe that I actually stayed in on New Years Eve.  Despite the knocking on my door every ten minutes and the constant taunting from my fellow Abrams residents, I successfully did not go out or drink a drop of alcohol on the most celebrated night of the year.  It was a strange feeling, watching the clock strike midnight and hearing the fireworks but having no one to share the moment with.  During the minutes of my of regret after realizing that I could be in the Marienplatz with all of my friends I texted Dad and recounted a NYE we spent together watching a Twilight Zone marathon on the SciFi channel and then the night in didn't seem like such a bad idea.  Sure I missed out on what I can only guess was an amazing time, but this morning I was overjoyed when I saw the bloodshot eyes, unkempt hair, and general sluggishness of every person sipping on their burnt coffee in the staff cafeteria.  Even though I missed last night's adventure, I had quite the adventure myself on the 30th.  A concert in Kur Park, the biathlon in the marienplatz, and too much gluhwein.  The biathlon was an interesting sight.  They fenced off areas of the marienplatz and put a 3 foot layer of snow for them to ski on.  Towards the end of the loop they had the targets set up where the athletes layed on their stomaches and shot their rifles after skiing speedily around the arena.  After the event the competitors raced around and touched the crowd.  It was then that Corinne and I decided we could give up our life at Edelweiss to marry a biathlete.  The concert was next.  It was easy to spot us Americans, we were all right up against the stage dancing the night away singing all of the words and passing around a flask of something that made our tummies warm and our dance moves better, or so we thought.  Yet another force protection fail.

Having the family come and go was a whirlwind for me.  I still find it hard to believe that they were here.  It was a great time, but I only wish I could have spent more time with Mom.  The size of the vacation rental made it nearly impossible for all of us to stay there, so Bret and I would part ways with the parentals and venture back to the Abrams every night.  It also didn't help that I had to work the whole week.  Welcome to the hospitality industry.  Despite my 40 hour work week, I think they enjoyed their time here.  They did more touristy Garmisch things than I have in my 4 months here.  I rationalized not going to the attractions with them because I have another 9 months here.  Well, closer to 8 months.  WOW.  I need to do work on my travel list.  This Monday a group of us are renting a car and heading to Berlin.  Should be a promising trip of sight seeing and chaos as always. 

A new year is ahead of me and I can only hope it will be as great as the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment