| Dance Floor Debauchery |
![]() |
| Memorial to the Murder Jews of Europe |
We awoke around 9 am free of hangovers (I'm not sure how that happened) and chose to do the free walking tour. This was my first one of these and I'm so disappointed I haven't taken advantage of them in the past. All of the bigger cities have them. You go for free, tip the guide as you see fit and listen to them promote other tours that cost Euro to take. It works, we ended up taking the Alternative Tour the following day, which highlighted street art and the hipster scene. Definitely worth the 10 Euro to see the side of Berlin that didn't involve a history book. Although a bit repetitive it was really interesting to see the "scene" and get a feel for Berlin's sexy grunge it is known for. The free tour featured all the main points of Berlin; Checkpoint Charlie, a section of the Berlin wall, Brandenburg Gate, Hotel Adlon (where MJ dangled the baby from the balcony), Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, and some other pretty buildings I'm not sure of the names. The memorial was easily one of my favorite structures ever. While walking up to it I thought it looked boring and void of any thought or character. It honestly looked like a city block of stone coffins, but when you walk into the memorial the elevation of the blocks all differ and as you continue in you feel more isolated and distant. The sounds carry strangely and it we lost each other within moments of entering. After we finished our free tour we journeyed back to the hostel to gain some energy before venturing out to find dinner. We used the handy dandy GPS to locate a nearby Mexican place. What was supposed to be a 5km walk turned into a death march into the side streets of Berlin. When we finally saw the neon glow of the restaurant it felt like a miracle. After all of that energy and near fighting I was sure it would be closed or infested with roaches, so I was pleasantly surprised with the mango margaritas and curry sauce on my burrito. Definitely not the Mexican we're used to, but a tasty way to end the hike.
![]() |
| Kunsthaus Tacheles |
When we returned to Garmisch everyone had to work at 6 or 7am the following morning. I was the only one with the day off, so I was elected to fill up the rental and return it to Hertz. Said car has a manual transmission and guess who drove it to base, filled it up, and returned it while only stalling out twice? ME.
![]() |
| Berlin Wall |
![]() |
| Rachel, Corinne, and I in front of Brandenburg Gate |





No comments:
Post a Comment